We’ve been in a vortex of sickness for the past couple of weeks. Well, a combination of sickness and traveling. Today Indira’s ear infection has finally eased and she’s feeling better so we decided to bake!
This bread came out delicious but next time I’ll try it with all applesauce (no butter) and I think it might be better as muffins or in smaller loaf pans. It was delicious though!
Strawberry Bread Recipe:
- 3 cups flour (I used half all purpose and half white whole wheat but next time would probably do all whole wheat pastry or whole wheat)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt (I used a little under this amount since I was using salted butter in the recipe)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp flaxseed (I’ll use more, at least 6 Tbsp next time but mine was a little past the date so I was concerned about flavor)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup(ish) moisture (I used a stick of butter and 1/2 cup of applesauce plus a tbsp or so, some recipes use oil, next time I’ll use a cup and a tbsp or two of applesauce)
- 1 lb of strawberries cut into small pieces (I probably had a little under 1 lb)
- 1 or 2 tbsp of cold butter
- 1/4 cup (?) brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Add butter/applesauce/oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir with a spoon (stir until just combined, don’t overmix).
- Add in strawberries and fold/mix in gently.
- Spoon into 2 greased loaf pans
- For topping: pulse in food processor until mixed and sprinkle onto top of loaves
- Cook for 45 – 55 minutes.