Okay, so I’m actually pretty anti-gun, but that is totally beside the point. Oh, and no, my kids cannot play with guns. Wait, missing the point again, and I don’t have kids. Well, I have one – is it actually a kid yet or is it still considered a fetus until it’s out of the womb and breathing? That’s probably a question for science and religion to duke out. I digress. I did wake up about ten minutes ago from a very long and deep sleep nap (okay, kids, I drooled! I don’t drool!) so that’s my excuse. And wait, why wasn’t I taking naps throughout the whole pregnancy?! I thought I disliked them but that felt absolutely incredible.
Back to my point. I have been given a happy award (thanks, Candice!) by someone who I grew up with and went to slumber parties with and embraced the wonderful 80s with! We went our separate ways at some point during the tumultuous period of junior high (my guess? is that right?) and completely lost touch years and years ago. This makes it that much cooler that in the past few months we have reconnected as adults (as two adult women who are both about to making the life-altering shift to motherhood).
The rule after receiving this award is to list 10 things that make you happy and pass the award to 10 other people. Hmmmm. I may only award one or two. We’ll see.
- First day of spring weather (short sleeves, sun, windows open)
- Spending a full day with Dave with no distractions (yes, these will be few and far between in a few days)
- Finishing a project and actually loving it
- Anticipating time as our new family of three
- Chilling with Darwin, the wonder dog (yes, I’m biased)
- Waking up to the sound of crickets on hot, sultry summer days where the only thing on the agenda is lazing
- Cold beer and a plate of fries after a long, hard hike
- Girls nights with ice cold martinis and great conversation
- Reading a great book, the kind that you can’t put down, the kind that you stay up reading until 1am even though you have to work in the morning
- Summer days and nights complete with grilling and time outside – porch time makes it perfect
I could keep going, but I’m stopping at 10 because I love following the rules (okay, no, not really). And I’m passing this on to Kerilyn.
Wow! It’s been quite some time since I’ve written. I’ve sat down with the intention of posting but then none of my thoughts sounded deep enough or witty enough or interesting enough for the keyboard, so I let it slide. I can’t promise that these will be witty or interesting or exciting or interesting enough now, but I feel ready to write at least.
So…. the move went pretty well. There were some bumps in the road and we’ve had tons and tons to do since we’ve arrived in NC but our house feels like a home, despite the random emotional overheats and breakdowns. There’s definitely a feeling of peace and home in this nice little house we found. I’ll post some photos shortly – maybe even tonight if I’m feeling really inspired.
I’m realizing as I write that maybe I’m still not ready to write. There is so much newness going on and it’s crazy and exciting and sad and scary and comfortable and fun all at once, but for some reason words can’t do life justice at times. Maybe this is just one of those times.
So, subjects for later are the new house, living with the boy, the new pregnant (perhaps?) stray cat, the new job, the beautiful mountains that are always immersed in a magical type of fog.
For now, though, I’ll leave with a little erasure poem:
In the night a recital of a dream
composition discovering the promise
The festival begins
with a procession masterpiece,
poetry, a parody;
retorts calls to it.
The delighted offers
of the guild
but old discourses of permanence
persuades him to enter.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
And a 3 Things, 2 Things:
3 things that make you happy:
starting a new, creative project
bird-song filled breezes filling the room
2 things you are looking forward to today:
finishing my work
reading more of The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine
2 long term things you are looking forward to:
building my own blog
1 person you are going to appreciate:
Thirteen Things about My Life Right Now
- I gave notice at my job and it feels great to be free…but
- I’m looking for a new job which is proving to be difficult
- I’m looking for a new job because I’m moving with the wonderful Dave to North Carolina
- I’m extremely stressed out about moving but I’m super excited! (We’re moving into a cool house with land and a big garden and cool trees and plants all around)
- My brother is getting married next Saturday! Woo hoo!
- My camera is crappy and I really want (need) a digital SLR but I don’t know when that will happen.
- I’ve been crazy moody (ugh)
- I’ve been watching many movies…to deal with my stress I presume
- I need a vacation – a real one – with tropical drinks and a beach and relaxation and fun
- I’ve totally been a slacker when it comes to yoga lately (which doesn’t help the ol’ mood)
- I need a girls day
- I need a romantic weekend
- Change is happening and it’s good good good (even though I’m, um, emotional and irrational and all that fun stuff)
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, Iâ€™ll add you here!)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. Itâ€™s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants